The town walls are a set of fortifications that surround the old town of Dubrovnik. They were built from the 13th to the 17th century for defense purposes. Is 1940 m long, 25 m tall, the mainland thickness of 4-6 m, and the sea 1.5-3 m. In the four corners of the world, protected by towers. When he started fencing walls in the 13th century, the area of the old town was already defined and could no longer spread. Within the city walls, during the Dubrovnik Republic, there were approximately 2,000 people at the time of the Statute of 1272, but most of them were in the 15th century, about 6,000 people . In the 14th century built the 15 square towers. With the advent of gunpowder, walls are reinforced to protect against artillery attacks. Because of the danger of the Venetians, closed all unnecessary holes in the wall of the harbor. The city walls have been given today's appearance in the 15th and 16th centuries. Wars have influenced the new building. When the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, built the tower Minčeta. Due to the Turkish-Venetian wars were built tower of St. Ivan, Revelin and St. bastion. Margarete (in Dubrovnik St. Margarita).